Old Toronto is a dissolved municipality located within the current city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It was first incorporated as a city in 1834, after being known as the Town of York, and became part of the region what was then known as York County. It expanded in size by annexation of surrounding municipalities, reaching its final boundaries in 1967. In 1954, it became part of Metropolitan Toronto and in 1998, it was amalgamated into the present-day City of Toronto.
Today, the area within the boundaries of the former city is variously referred to as the “former City of Toronto” or, more recently, “Old Toronto”. Historically, Old Toronto has referred to Toronto’s boundaries before the Great Toronto Fire of 1904, when much of city’s development was to the east of Yonge Street. The term “downtown core” is also sometimes used to refer to the district, which actually refers to the central business district of Toronto, which is located within the former city.
Old Toronto is the densest part of the City of Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area.